23-05-2008Something different for a change. Why only use the blog to announce new releases? There is more to write about! Take for example questions that are asked me from time to time.... A recurring question is 'how do you make clothing?' or 'is it easy to make your own clothing on second life?' In upcomming posts I will show you how I do what I do. I hope this will make you, my readers, happy... (both of you haha).
- The things I am going to cover will not be complete tutorials, if you want to know something about a detail I seem to have skipped, just send me an email or comment on the post!
- My way to do things is not THE way to do it, there are a lot of techniques to design and make clothing for second life.
- Avpainter is a very handy program which gives you an avatar in a window on which you can paint. very simple. I don't use this program all the time, only when I want to make a design which is completely new. (yes this means that a lot of clothing is created using something 'old' as a base for something new... this saves -a lot- of time.) When you are working on a design, you can also load it into avpainter to see if it works. uploading a texture to SL costs 10 L$ and it takes a lot of uploads to get everything right.... so avpainter can save you some money! It can be bought through slexchange.com
- Adobe Illustrator. When a design is drawn in Avipainter, it is imported into illustrator and used as a template to draw the clean lines in. If you have another programm in which you can draw lines quickly, you can use that!
- Adobe photoshop. I use it to finish my designs, change colors, ad details like paterns, shades... I really can't think of designing clothing without photoshop. Some people use an alternative like paintshop pro or Gimp. As a websdesigner in rl I use photoshop every day.. There is little it can't do and I cannot imagine desinging stuff without it...